Monday 13 August 2018

Summer Sorbet

In case you missed it, the U.K. had a glorious and completely unprecedented heat wave this summer! (Which has now ended as quickly as it started..was good while it lasted!) So, I felt inspired to get my ice cream maker out...if nothing else as an attempt to save money on endless tubs of ice cream from the supermarket!



To help, I bought myself a copy of "I <3 my Ice Cream Maker" which has loads of easy recipes for ice cream, sorbet and frozen yoghurt. So far, I've tried the raspberry sorbet, strawberry sorbet and the pistachio ice cream - all good!








Basically, you start off by heating caster sugar and water until it boils and the sugar dissolves to make a syrup. Then, while that's cooling you blend the fruit together to make a puree. Once the syrup is cooled, mix in the fruit puree and let it cool a little more before putting it in your ice cream maker to churn and freeze.

300g raspberries
400g strawberries

Obviously, the quantities of the ingredients vary with each recipe, and you also have to put the finished mixture in the freezer before you eat it. Well actually, you don't, but you should...!

The raspberry sorbet is Bren's favourite, but I think I like the strawberry sorbet more. Not sure if it's actually cheaper than the stuff you can buy in the store once you factor in the cost of the fruit, but it does taste good! Some of the ice cream recipes I'd like to try in the future are Sunflower and Honey ice cream, Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (for Bren, not me) and Rocky Road ice cream. I reckon I could attempt a Mango sorbet and Coconut sorbet, even though I don't have a specific recipe and I'd b guessing the quantities! There's even a recipe for Balsamic Strawberry ice cream in here, which I will not be making - I refuse to be allergic to ice cream!!

This is either Raspberry or Strawberry Sorbet...they look the same to be honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment